Reports to: Vice President of Portfolio Operations
The General Manager provides leadership, direction and support to a property operations team to facilitate the effective management of a large urban mixed use development and deliver superior customer service while maximizing the value of the asset. He or she will work collaboratively to develop the long-term strategy, annual business plans and operating budget.
- Partner effectively with Leasing, Engineering and Construction Management as a senior member of the team.
- Oversee daily site operations, contracted services, support personnel and building engineers.
- Manage the development’s finances and administration, including preparation of annual budgets and capital plans, monthly and quarterly reporting, annual operating expense and real estate tax reconciliations, rent collection.
- Provide oversight for tenant improvements and capital projects. Facilitate the RFP & bidding process, as well as hire & manage architects, engineers, contractors and consultants for this work.
- Coordinate with company’s leasing group and outside brokers as required.
- Interact and work with company’s Accounting and Asset Management groups as required.
- Provide continuous feedback to the property operations team to assist in their development.
- Assist in solving problems, including employee relations, tenant service issues and building operational issues.
- Implement corporate policies, procedures and operating goals.
- Communicate and implement the business plans to the property operations.
- Expand business development opportunities that enhance financial performance of the portfolio.
- Develop strategic relationships with key tenant decision-makers. Attend meetings with targeted customers to assess satisfaction and identify areas for service improvement and leasing opportunity.
- Create monthly/quarterly management reports, annual business plan/operating budget.
- Coach, mentor and motivate employees to ensure optimal performance and support them in their career development.
- Works closely with the RPM in all aspects of management including administrative and financial duties.
- Assumes responsibility for supervising staff and managing the property.
- Works closely with the RPM in developing an integral team that effectively sells the quality and professionalism of Samuels & Associates Residential.
- Inspects property common areas, apartment units and grounds on a regular basis. Offers recommendations to management regarding improvements to the overall operation of the community.
- Familiarizes one’s self with all aspects of maintenance.
- Understands and completes all financial and operational reporting requirements.
- Responsible for the collection of all rent/fee payments from both current and previous residents.
- Insures daily community deposits in regard to rent collections and any other miscellaneous income.
- Oversees processing all community invoices. Assists in monitoring and recording paid invoices into various administrative logbooks.
- Oversees non-payment notices to all delinquent residents and completes follow-up activity in regards to non-payment of rent or eviction proceedings.
- Maintains a general working knowledge of state laws with regard to collection of delinquent accounts.
- Oversees the preparation of preliminary account reviews for those residents on notice.
- Warmly greet prospective residents, qualify, determine needs and preferences, professionally present community and specific apartments while providing features and benefits.
- Answer incoming phone calls and handle accordingly, whether prospect call, resident issue, service request, etc.
- Correctly complete all lease applications, assist with application verification, and notify prospective resident of results.
- Organize and file all applicable reports, leases and paperwork.
- Insure daily input of lal resident information in relation to walk-in-traffic, move-ins, move-outs, apartment conditions, etc. Maintains all current and previous resident files.
- Ability to understand and explain legal documents (i.e. leases and addenda). Complete all lease paperwork, including related addendums.
- Understands and applies principles of Fair Housing.
- Oversees the overall marketing efforts and offers input and suggestions in regards to promotions, advertisements, rate increases, etc.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of market and competitive properties.
- Strategically manage renewals of existing residents and tenants.
- Assists the overall team effort through effective leadership.
- Analyzes concerns associated with apartments that are slow to lease and offers recommendations.
- Oversee the management of YieldStar rent recommendations based on market knowledge, building attributes and individual apartment features and amenities.
- Earns respect of leasing staff and maintenance team through cooperative management.
- Oversees the handling of resident service requests and various concerns as required.
- Oversees the follow-up activity as needed with new and current residents in order to establish and maintain positive resident relations.
- Attends and assists with resident social functions and activities.
- Identifies and maintains team attendance and participation in training seminars as requested.
- May be required to drive motorized vehicle on or off property for Company business and run errands as necessary.
- Represents the Company in a professional manner at all times. Consistently maintains a professional courteous attitude when dealing with residents, coworkers and the general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Company may revise this job description from time to time as business needs require. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all the functions of the job, nor to limit the Company’s right to assign other functions to an employee in this position. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Demonstrates commitment to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Advanced situational judgment – ability to know what is needed to satisfy the customer
- Takes ownership to personally resolve customer problems (or find someone who can).
- Listens well, asks clarifying questions and checks for agreement with customers.
- Committed to following-up with customers in all instances in a timely manner.
- Strong sense of accountability – ensures that you will do what you say that you are going to do.
- Creates a personal connection with customers – smiles, warm greetings, acts friendly and respectful, listens.
- Take and maintain ownership of Customer Service situations that are immediately present.
- Follow-up on all situations to verify expectations are met or exceeded.
- College Degree preferred.
- Real Estate or business-related course of study preferred.
- Sales experience required.
- Previous Real Estate leasing and/or sales preferred.
- Property Management and leasing experience essential.
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills necessary.
- Computer literacy required.
- Experience with computerized property management and / or accounting software preferred.
- Experience with Yardi, MRI, YieldStar and LevelOne is helpful.
- Experience with Computers w/Internet and e-mail capabilities, Telephone, Facsimile, Photocopier, Vehicle.
- Ability to interpret, evaluate and communicate detailed written or verbal instructions to others accurately and quickly, including answering phones, attending meetings, written correspondence or other forms of communication.
- Ability to organize various office systems through adjusting, connecting, lifting, pulling, pushing, bending or folding for the purpose of proper records development and/or management.
- Ability to lift, push, pull or carry up to 15 pounds for the dissemination of documents, supplies, materials, etc. to various locations throughout the office/facility.
Physical and visual activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the essential functions of this job. “Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There may be different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate
- Valid Drivers’ License, good driving record and Auto Insurance required
As a Samuels & Associates team member, you represent Samuels & Associates. While you are on the job, Samuels & Associates Residential expects you to wear clothing and accessories that are appropriate in a professional business environment. If a uniform is required at the property, you are expected to wear it.
- Moderate. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally call for minor deviations. Must be able to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.
- High. Must be able to work at a fast pace, perform duties while under pressure, and meet deadlines in a timely manner, to interact/communicate with other associates, residents, visitors and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
*We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer m/f/d/v.
*As a condition of employment, Credit and Criminal background checks are required.
*The list of Job Functions is not intended to be complete and total. Additional responsibilities
and tasks may be necessary to achieve stated goals
Boston, Massachusetts, United States